If you’ve ever felt butterflies after an exhilarating experience or become nauseous at the thought of public speaking, that’s your brain talking to your gut. Here’s another fun fact: Did you know a large portion of your seratonin (you know, the happy chemical that regulates our emotions) is made in your gut?
Inside your gut are trillions of microbes that stay in constant communication with your brain through an information superhighway of nerves and chemical neurotransmitters. Scientists call this link the “gut-brain axis” and it’s arguably one of the most important relationships in your body. Recent research points to chemicals made in your gut that affect brain functions like fear, anxiety, and appetite reduction. On the flip side, the gastrointestinal tract is also extremely sensitive to the brain’s emotions. Anger, anxiety, sadness, and stress can all trigger uncomfortable symptoms in the gut.
Happy gut, happy brain
Now that you know changing your gut health could improve your brain health, there are simple steps you can take to keep the lines of communication in your “gut-brain axis” healthy and thriving. They key is to restore the balance of good and bad bacteria in your gut.
The food you eat plays a pivotal role. Today’s on-the-go culture of eating fast and convenient high-sugar, high-fat foods are the perfect fuel for harmful species of bacteria to multiply and grow. A bacterial imbalance can result in:
- Stomach issues
- Difficulty sleeping
- Unpleasant mood
- Cardiovascular issues
- Poor complexion
- Low energy
- Decreased focus and mental acuity
- Weight issues
Simple steps to keep your gut-brain connection healthy
Remember, like any healthy relationship, keeping the lines of communication open is key. So how do you make sure your gut is sending your brain and body the right message?
- Get plenty of Omega-3 fatty acids (fats found in oily fish)
- Eat fermented foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchee
- Take a prebiotic (fiber superfood that feed good bacteria) and probiotic (live, good bacteria)
- Start Cloud 9 Life’s 3-in-30 System: A simple wellness system to help you push the reset button with digestive enzymes and pre-and probiotics that replenish good bacteria and restore a healthy gut microbiome.